<$BlogRSDUrl$>

5.30.2004

The Wondorous Architecture of the Nose 

So call me naive, but despite my years of biology studies, I have never quite understood the nasal passageway of the human being.

Unfortunatley, I've come down with a terrible virus... the common cold upped two notches. Let me just state that I've never had this amount of pressure to recover. Before, I could sit quietly in the back of class, tissues, lozenges, and echinacea tea in tow, and then retreat to my room to pass out. I would call in to switch a shift at work, or just take it easy while getting through my duties.

Now, I have so many obligations, and with such a requirement of speaking and communicating, and advertising a company with my presence, that this is a major setback. For the first time, I downed over the counter drugs, and plowed through my 18 hours of work without rest. This of course has stunted my getting better.

One of the more traditional treatments I tried was a Neti Pot. Basically it's a small ceramic version of Aladin's lamp. One fills it with salt water, shoves it up one nostril, and tilts the head over a sink. To my surprise, the water went up one nostril and out the other! I kept my mouth open to breathe. It replicated the sensation of swimming too deep in a pool, or doing an underwater headstand. The theory is that irritants build up in the nasal and sinus cavities, and can be washed away to prevent mucus buildup. It can be integrated into a daily routine, they say.


Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
  (0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?